Monday, August 16, 2010

Interview: Jitendra Dixit



The Secret Diary of a Crime Reporter

(Jitendra Dixit is a well known figure on Indian news channel, known for his courageous reporting on various issues. The anchor of the very famous crime based show “Red Alert’ exposed many scams, corruptions and people involved. Many a times he broke many big stories in the past. After almost a decade he has emerged as one of the leading crime reporters of India and a synonym of investigative reporting.

Playing with dangers is now a part and parcel of his life. The contemporary chief of Bureau of Star News, Mumbai was also the one who covered the whole 26/11 terror attacks at Mumbai and also the whole trial of Ajmal Kasab. Later he also came up with his book ‘26/11: Ve 59 Gante’ which covered his experience of the Mumbai attacks from his perspective. Here are some excerpts from the interview)


(Published on mangalorean.com on August 18, 2010.
Link: http://mangalorean.com/browsearticles.php?arttype=Feature&articleid=1701)

‘Red Alert’ a show based largely on investigative stories laid a
foundation of a series which exposed many corruptions, scams, scandals and
many more. How the idea of Red Alert came into action?

Jitendra: Red Alert was a successful crime show and its idea was to make common citizens aware of the emerging crime trends. It had a segment "Wanted" where details of most wanted fugitives were shown and general public were asked to inform us in case they (criminals) were spotted. This "Public-Red Alert -Police" co-ordination led to arrest of around 20 accused including Maninder Pal Singh Kohli of the infamous Henna Foster case of UK. Red Alert also caused the arrest of few big time conmen. The idea of Red Alert was to involve general viewer against crime prevention and I am proud to say that it was highly successful.

Being based on investigative stories the show must have required a lot of time, struggle and dedication but anyhow it carried on for almost a decade. What problems you faced for making the show successful?
Jitendra: In the initial days ‘Red Alert’ was produced by B.A.G Films for
Star News and I just anchored for it. But later on my own team took over
its production. Talking about problems there were many. Many a times
investigating agencies, witnesses, complainants etc did not
co-operate. Our crew members and reporters were also threatened. Moreover
there were notices and cases of defamations also against us in addition to all other troubles.

You covered the historical 26/11 Mumbai attacks and also published
a book "26/11: Ve 59 Ghante" launched at Wilson College on 19/11/09. How
challenging was covering the risky work where bullets sometimes also came
near media. What all you covered in your book?

Jitendra: My book on 26/11 is a simple account of what I had seen and felt
while covering those attacks. There were few instances where we escaped
death. While reading the book one can feel the tension and magnitude of
attacks. My book could be especially helpful for journalism students.
They can cover such incidents in a better way and safely if God forbid
they happen again.

From 26/11 attacks, a new controversy started on the role of
media in covering such attacks and government blamed media for their careless behavior in covering such issues which allegedly in a manner helped the terrorists. What is your stand on that?

Jitendra: Although, being a television journalist I haven’t defended my
fraternity in my book where we were wrong. I have admitted that we
were wrong. It’s true we made mistakes. But one should not ignore the
fact that electronic media in India is in a nascent stage. Moreover,
the magnitude of these attacks was known to the world only due to the
coverage of electronic media. Media persons have been witnesses in
this case and evidence produced by them has also played role in
convicting the accused Ajmal Kasab.

Recently you talked about some mistakes in
the recent film ‘Once Upon a time in Mumbai’. What was your objection on
some parts of the film?

Jitendra:
Dawood and Haji Mastan were never enemies or rivals. Haji Mastan died a natural death and was not killed by Dawood as shown in the movie. Dawood respected Mastan a lot and also worked for him in initial days of his career in underworld. Anyways "Once Upon..." is just a fiction and not a documentary. Film makers can take creative liberty.

Being one of the leading crime reporters of India, your job
includes lots of hectic hours of work, consistent pressure to perform. How
you balance your personal life and professional life?

Jitendra: Its true that professional life is quite stressful, but then I make
full use of my weekly offs and holidays. Once a month I get out for
trekking or picnic with my friends and also spend good time with my family. I
am a certified scuba diver and go for diving indents whenever possible.
Twice a year I go for a week long holiday to explore faraway places
either with family or friends.

Did you plan in childhood itself to be a crime reporter? What
dragged you to journalism?

Jitendra: As a kid I used to tell my parents that I want to become a train driver when I grew up. Just for the reason that a train driver's job will provide me opportunity to travel to distant places. Later on when I reached class eight I started writing for children's magazine and since then my interest in this profession started growing stronger. I joined Aaj Tak in 1999 when I was still a student of final year B.A.

Recently you came to Mangalore for some news coverage. How was your
experience visiting Mangalore?

Jitendra: I was in Mangalore for four days during May this year. I came here to cover the Air crash. I wasn’t able to explore Mangalore city much as most of my time was spent at the crash site or Bajpe airport. However, the first impression of
the city was that it is better organised and there is no civic mess like
in Mumbai. People here are warm and friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment